Saturday, June 27, 2009

I made something neato.

Oh hey what's up, Tommy here. I just made something neat that will be the envy of every Flash kid around. Its a tool that exports Flash animations directly from Flash and puts them in a format that is playable by my engine which runs on Wii, PC, Xbox 360 and very very soon PS3. And don't think for a SECOND that it just exports animations frame by frame in one big series of textures...no no no that's not how I like to do things, it uses another tool I made that exports a bunch of Symbols in Flash something like this:


That right there is an example of a bunch of set pieces Edmund drew that are packaged into a texture and exported as a PNG along with a file that tells me where each piece is, how its rotated, and how big it is. It tries to package them in the smallest image possible by rotating and placing symbols as efficiently as possible. Basically its an entire library of Flash Symbols exported in one PNG that I can easily use in the engine. Now the animation exporter uses the Symbol exporter tool to export the pieces of the animations that Edmund draws and exports all of the keyframe and tweening data so I can use them in engine. Neat huh? I made a video, the video explains everything:


Whatever.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds really cool...
    and very useful...
    and the audio on the video lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thats Genius! Saves one a ton of work, I have to start following your blog and the things you do here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cool! yeah, I do agree that you guys are geniuses. Though, I might not be able to afford your wiiware for SMB. Could you make it available for free?like my favorite online game(yeah, you've worked for this..i know(still hoping). Anyhow..thanks for the share of snips and videos. Good lucks!!:)

    ReplyDelete